So much installing (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 12:40 (2374 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I like game discs. I really do. But it seems like everyone is trying so hard to get me to switch to digital.

I mean, even when you have a disc the game installs fully to your HD. Today I have free, so I'm excited to try Horizon Zero Dawn… but oops. Not enough space. Really? I thought I had 1TB? Oh wow… it's totally full with game installs that I have discs for.

We should just go back to cartridges. I mean, how much would a 50GB SSD even cost in a few years mass produced? You could even save your game on the "cart" or internal storage.

I can only dream that's how the PS5 will work. I just hate deleting shit on my console when I should be playing.

It's on a smaller scale, but this is how the Nintendo Switch works for physical games. You just plug in the cartridge and you're ready to go, barring any patches you want to download. Of the 25gb of built-in storage, I've only used 700mb.

The obvious downside is that Nintendo requires developers to chip in for the manufacturing cost of the cartridges, which is why many multiplatform games on the switch are $10 more than on other platforms.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread