Useless argument. WARNING: basic semantic theory inside (Recruitment)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 14:13 (2356 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

"Wow this person has an inalienable difference in their entire approach to language and are out of step with English convention" and not "Huh, okay", then I think I've gone past the realm where it's my communication problem.)

Yeah, I won't say that Kermit is coming off as pretentious... but it does seem a bit prejudiced; being a native speaker does not grant you a superior and/or innate understanding of language. Like I pointed out earlier, I'm not a native English speaker, and yet I have notebooks filled with grammatical/syntax errors made by native speakers (I won't name names, but at least I know how to spell "Legacy"). And heck, just the other night, I had to remind a certain native speaker that the proper term was "Claude and I will go" not "Me and Claude will go".
So his presumption about having a better understanding of the English language simply based on the fact that he only speaks English is... fallacious, at best (and you'd think a professional writer would know better).

But yeah, you and I have been on the same page, even if our approach has been different. Your explanations are more nuanced, for sure, but they sum up everything that I've been trying to get across, so +1 to everything that you've contributed (although I'd give you a +1 for your patience alone, even if you disagreed with me).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread