Kek.... But since we're here... (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 11:01 (2354 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 11:04

Meanwhile, Destiny 2 has dumbed its systems down to a gambling system revolving around Tokens, and the game's Sandbox has become extremely limited.

First of all, knock it off. I don't want to be persuaded into playing Warframe!

Second, this sentence right here I think it pretty crucial. The sandbox is limited.

I feel like with the Destiny games, and especially with Des2ny since it's nearly identical mechanically, is that there is no real room for mastery beyond simply getting better guns, and being more accurate in your positioning and shooting.. There are of course strategies you can learn and get better at for things like the raid, but I'm talking more along the lines of an overall mastery that manifests from understanding of 'multiplicative design' (the industry calls it 'multiplicative gameplay', but that term betrays the skill with which it is created).

There is a real pleasure in not just learning the systems, but how they interact with each other. I've never felt that Destiny had very many of these interacting systems. Doubly so with the simplification of the subclasses. It doesn't really feel like they combine in even the most simple of ways.

When it was first released, I had a lot of fun in Destiny learning the new 'rules' after coming from Halo. But Des2ny has the same rules really, and I've already mastered them. Even though the campaign, story, and grind were way better, the experience itself didn't feel like a discovery the way the original did. So while the immediate situation might be different, the core basics are largely the same.

It's no joke when I say that Super Mario World has more multiplicative design than Des2ny. I feel like that statement is 100% true. Think about the crazy things you have to do to find the secret exits and Star Road for example.

And that I think is probably the main issue going forward.

By the way, I have been long saying that developers hiding cool things and not showing you it right away is a great way to make the world feel bigger and more immersive without actually making it physically bigger. Secrets, or things you can miss are critical. The usual arguments against my position are money, blah blah blah. I feel like I was and still am right though. This guy gets it. You guys will too :-p

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread