+1 (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 07:21 (2351 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t have much to add, we talked about it enough already. The game and the expansion are incredible experiences.

I don’t hold it against the expansion, but I will say some of it’s additions are lame. The new skill tree is boring. I mean, I never ride a mount in that game so it’s all useless, except for the resource and inventory ones at the bottom, and having skills like that in a skill tree always just feels really lazy.

I do ride a mount, so the mount-based perks are kind of cool, but it really feels like half of them should indeed have been basic abilities (such as sharding your inventory items)... Then again, most of the base perks involve activating some QoL change (being able to pull enemies of ledges, anyone?) rather than adding a whole new ability like Destiny's.

Also, I’m not a fan of the new weapons. They’re just not fun to use. In a game all about using tools and crazy weapons creatively, being given was is essentially an assault rifle and a flame thrower feels really uninspired. Compared to the Tearblaster, Ropecaster, and traps of the original game, the new weapons are boring. The fact that there’s reall only two new weapons, just with additional versions with different elements doesn’t help.

Have you done the three Varga hunts that help upgrade the new weapons? I felt the same way about them at first, but once I upgraded them all, I was surprised at how useful their secondary ability is. The Icerail can one-shot a Longleg if you hit the right Crit, for example, and the flame mortar can shut down a whole mess of enemies. Sure, you already had a Shadow Sling that can do elemental damage, but the new weapons are slow-firing high-risk, high-reward versions of that, and that's enough for me (I usually have the ForgeFire equipped over the Tripcaster on Ultra Hard).

On the other hand, the few new Banuk outfits are great, and the new machines are amazing. Scorchers and Frostclaws are challenging and incredibly fun to fight.

Totally. I saved a video of my Werak challenge fight, since I wasn't too experienced yet with how you're supposed to fight them (and they throw three at you), all while running low on most supplies. It was great, and left me physically shaking to be able to do it on my first try:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread