Question Re: Pre-Load and Storage Reqs (updated) (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 16:46 (2347 days ago) @ Beorn

The Update has this to say about storage requirements:

Players may begin to pre-load Curse of Osiris starting at 8 AM PST on December 5, 2017. The following storage requirements must be available to begin pre-loading content:
PlayStation 4: 88 GB
Xbox One: 44 GB
PC: 68 GB

But I'm a little confused by these numbers. (And I presume these are going to be the new install sizes of D2 after the Osiris patch, not additional storage required.) How is it that PS4 has double the install size of XB1, and ~30% larger than PC? I'm sure exclusive content accounts for some of that, but it's certainly not 200% or even 30% of actual in-game material.

I also suspect that the 44GB listed for XB1 is for the non-4K version of the game (i.e., most XB1's out there), and that the XB1X install size will actually be closer to the PC install due to it needing higher-resolution assets.

And "pre-load" seems to be a generous term for this patch. "A couple hours ahead of launch on the morning of" would be a smidge more accurate. :)

Anyway, I'm wondering how this will shake out next week.

-----

Update: I checked my current install sizes:

Xbox One S: 36.9 GB
Xbox One X: 36.9 GB
PS4: 40.6 GB

The PS4 being 10% larger makes a lot more sense re: platform exclusives, but that still leaves me confused about the numbers they've posted above. To get to the new sizes, it would suggest that the Osiris patch will be ~7 GB to download, which sounds about right given past expansions. BUT, if Xbox One X is jumping to 4K assets, the download may be more along the lines of 43 GB (37 -> 80 GB, [10% less than PS4 Pro])!

That's a ton of data! They might want to at least address this?

Derp. Pyro makes a good point below. So maybe the new 4K install size is more in line with the PC, rather than the inflated PS4 thing?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread