Destiny and the Eve Online method of making video games.

by Riceamike, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 16:21 (4057 days ago)

For those unaware, my passion in life just so happens to be the combination of paperwork and laser battles that is the wonderfully hardcore Eve Online.
One of the defining aspects of it is the community aspect that comes from a persistent world (with an entirely player-run economy, as well)

Before I get into a question about Destiny, let me tell a story that happened yesterday in Eve.
I was just flying around low-security space looking for NPC enemies to kill for their bounty money. Mostly as a test of my ship's fitting. Suddenly, I was knocked out of movement, as three yellow-listed players jumped in and surrounded me. Knocking missile after missile at me until my ship exploded and my capsule safely warped away and docked at the closest station hoping to not die. I was sent a message from one of the three, informing me of my stupidity of being in Low-Sec. My corporation is currently planning to strike back at them and destroy them for what they did.

One of the screenshots from the Vidoc listed Faction Warfare as a menu option.
Some of the leaked information about Destiny that was later confirmed mentioned customization, but also different 'groups' of humans. If Bungie even comes remotely close to the factional warfare present in games such as Eve Online/Dust 514, I will be incredibly impressed.

This ViDoc hyped me up to no end. Destiny, as an idea, has been tugging at my heartstrings since it was first announced. Having just beaten Marathon 2 in 3-Player Co-Op last night, I was reaffirmed that Bungie does in fact know what they're doing.

So, my question is this.
Do you think Bungie can pull off an immersion-creating 'living world' that can potentially reach Halo sizes?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread