I might actually prefer that (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 14:50 (2236 days ago) @ Vortech

Last night I set up the game and played around solo because I had exactly 8 people on my friends list playing in 2 groups. I had fun with my sailing simulator and really never ran into another soul, except occasionally seeing some sails on the horizon.

This afternoon I spent a lovely hour or so pirating around on a sloop killing undead captains and digging up treasure, and then half-way through a mission I found myself at an island with someone else. They attacked, and by working the sails and fire angles I managed to fend them off single handedly despite them having 2+ people. Then another ship came as they left. So, low on supplies I high-sea'd it out of there, and ran into a big ship. They both chased me and I managed to give the big ship the slip, but the other small ship chased me all they way into port, sunk my ship just as I reached the dock (very Jack Sparrow), and then shot me to death P2P as I tried to turn in the one skull I managed to save from my sinking ship.

I respawned feeling like I wasted 2 hours because they're is simply nothing you can do if you are alone when a ship with even one more person decides to come after you.

Yeah, yeah, Piracy. I get it. But I had no REAL problem with them sinking me, or really even loosing most of the gold from my adventures, but the rep gains should probably accrue when you get the voyage successful message. And I think there should be some sort of pirate code protection force at the ports. Something to make it feel like even a total loss was not a waste of time, and something that can give you a fighting chance solo.

As it is it really sapped the "I want to play" feeling I had at the start of the day and I don't know if I would play solo again.

Yeah, despite the fact that you have the "you can't really get mad, because, come on, it's literally the name of the game" mentality to keep you in perspective, it really is easy to grief others, and it still sucks when it happens to you. We called out this problem in the first Beta, and some months later, absolutely nothing changed to alleviate that, and I haven't heard a peep from Rare on that front.

I heard some reports that some Galleons simply wait at ports for sloops to show up in order to steal their loot. There are no safe waters, and the smaller ships are no faster than the big ones (because of multitasking needed to sail them, the small ships can be even slower than a fully-manned galleon).

It sucks, and sometimes the only thing that you can do is to sail over the edge of the map to deny the enemy ship your treasures...

I totally agree that you should be able to cash in half of the rep by completing the Voyage, and the other half by turning in the chest.

It would be nice if you could set up timed alliances, so that certain Waters would make you immune to an Ally ship's cannons and such as long as you stayed within a certain distance of each other... or something to promote social play, rather than rewarding the cheapest, douchiest playstyles...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread