Easy (also curious to others thoughts on this) (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, May 10, 2018, 17:01 (2188 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So Destructiod gave Warmind a 55.

But like, how do you actually review the expansions? Curse of Osiris was extremely weak… except for the Raid Lair. Like, if CoO were nothing but the raid lair it would get a very high mark because the raid lair is awesome.

But the raid lair was basically half a raid. So… do you knock it for not being what it should be? How do you review Warmind before doing what is sure to be the best part? Do you take points off for the re-introduction of stupid grind, or not because the campaign was alright?

It's not so simple anymore.

Score each "area" or "mode"that the game offers individually, average together.

Example:

Core Campaign = 30/100
Casual Multiplayer = 60/100
Competitive Multiplayer = 80/100
Raid = 80/100
Firefight = 50/100
Mechanics (movement, supers gunplay, etc) = 100/100
DLC = 10/100

Average = 58/100

That score lines up with my personal opinion. For the past 4 years, Destiny has been mechanically fun to play, but shit narrative and mediocre MP. With Halo, I never got bored of shooting the same aliens year after year because the story was just, simply better for me. Because Destiny's story is so anorexic, the aliens don't hold up the same, ya dig?

I think the Hive are really frickin neat-o. But I'm bored of them because they aren't holding my interest. Eh.

Sorry, unapologetic Destiny fans. The studio can make a really solid playing game, but they lost their mojo when it comes to something that is satisfying from a narrative perspective.

Sure, bungie, your game *plays* excellent.
Sure, bungie, your worlds and characters *look* beautiful.

But you bit off more than you can chew.

You can't keep pace with what the fanbase wants from this game (and on that note, the fanbase is admittedly spoiled, and unrealistic with a lot of stuff)

You can't satisfy your fans on an empty, snack-of-a-game. It's popcorn. Not filling.

Your attempt at having and open world, open narrative, yet linear and compelling story ended up pleasing no one. You didn't paint yourself into a corner, more like you are too scattered.

We've entered an area where most games are moving to a "as a service" model, where content is smaller, but trickled out steadily and a game lasts longer than it used to.

There are games that focus on the more "one and done" approach with traditional sequels and single player approach.

But that's what I see- they stick to the one thing they are good at.

Overwatch barely has a narrative and people love it.
Wolfenstein, God of War etc had great single player stories and people love it.
Fortnite is pure, party multi-player now, and people love it.
Mario Odyssey is fun platforming for the casual adventurer.

Destiny is.... geeze, who can tell anymore?

I'm not even being pessimistic, I just honestly don't understand what the hell they are doing anymore :/

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread