On Being Fair (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 29, 2018, 10:13 (2170 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nothing, no decent person would approve of that behavior IF IT HAPPENED. I'm talking about the impulse to immediately burn people at the stake for being accused of impropriety. When I say "new age of Puritanism," I'm speaking to a larger issue. The puritanical mindset relishes in finding and punishing evildoers, and presuming any modicum of innocence just gets in the way of the fun--the demonizing of others and the demonstration of your own relative goodness.

Nah man. Maybe it has to do with seeing it happen in my industry and knowing people it directly affected. Maybe it has to do with the fact that many times they weren't taken seriously when they reported it or were told it's to as big a deal as they are making it out to be. Maybe it has to do with harassers not being disciplined, precisely because of the sentiment you write above.

I was worried that you were going to read the "you" in that last sentence as a personal reference (I'm talking about phenomenon that's bigger than you--although I've certainly seen you eager to make absolute and premature pronouncements on stuff based on [what strikes me anyway as] a rather strict worldview).

I've seen things, too, Cody, like people being fired based on hearsay. I'm not in any way, shape, or form pro-harassment. I am for hearing both sides when serious accusations are made, finding out the truth, and due process. I am against the presumption of guilt and mob rule, especially now when the mob is so empowered to act quickly and reflexively.

Regarding Quantic Dream, they seem to have pushed back as forcefully as they possibly could to the allegations, and that's a significant factor to me (that said, judging by the comments, you're in the majority in not trusting the corporate leaders, but that's a bias. You can say that they are just protecting their bottom line, but if the allegations are baseless, how should they act?). I also think that boycotts (which you seemed to be advocating) tend to be counterproductive and are a lazy way to deal with controversial issues. Not in all cases, but often.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread