Faster TTK (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 10, 2018, 10:41 (2121 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

My point is that Destiny is far far closer to the quick TTK, twitch shooter end of the spectrum than it is to the methodical, tactical combat side of the gameplay spectrum. So if it’s going to lean into it’s strengths, I think going slightly faster is the more logical choice.

I get your point and I agree that it is closer in that spectrum. But why does it have to go even farther? Is there a reason why it needs to be faster? Is Destiny broken as it is now?

You say that a faster TTK is a strength for a game like this. But I would say because we have said abilities that it doesn't need faster TTK. I would prefer if we stayed right where we are and slightly buff those abilities instead. We don't have to swing into full on tactical because we are already on the TTK side as it is. I just don't want to go full on TTK either.

I don’t think they necessarily have to do anything... ever since Vigilance Wing and Graviton Lance rose to supremecy, I think the crucible has become far more enjoyable. If I had to guess, I suspect Bungie wants to bring a wider range of primary weapons in line so those 2 exotics don’t completely dominate the way they do now. I don’t think a wider variety of equally effective weapons is a bad thing.

As far as the other tweaks go, they seem reasonable to me, in theory. Shoulder charge is already almost useless. At least if it can score a 1-hit kill, it will open the possibility of a surprise attack chaining into a larger engagement , rather than the charger being instantly gunned down.
It is a slippery slope, though. I found the rampant ability spam in D1 to be very frustrating. It was a game that leaned too heavily towards providing easy ways for players to get kills without properly earning them (ie actually beating their opponent in combat). There were so many grenades that tracked or had huge AOEs, burning effects, and insta-kill supers that required almost no skill to use.

So I just think that if Bungie wants to make space magic a big part of PvP without turning the crucible into a complete shit show, they’d need to completely rethink the TTK (ie slow it waaaaay down), amplify the differences between the classes, provide more complex maps... basically make a different game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread