Whisper quest, post-patch (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, September 01, 2018, 12:53 (2084 days ago)

I ran the whisper of the Worm mission a couple times last night with an LFG group... we were doing Heroic runs, so everyone involved already knew there way through and we had a pretty good plan in place. I wasn't expecting much of a challenge, but I was sorely mistaken. Turns out that with the new ammo economy, Power ammo is tough to come by during the Whisper mission. To be more precise, after 2 complete runs through the mission, I hadn't seen a single brick of purple ammo. This makes the entire mission far more difficult, but especially the final boss room.

I thought I'd pass along a couple quick tips for anyone who might be looking to run the mission this weekend.

a) Loading straight into the Heroic mission from orbit causes you to start the mission with very little Power ammo (I only had 6 rounds in my Whisper, for example). However, you can get around this by flying down into a patrol zone, stocking up on Power ammo, then opening the director and launching the Whisper mission without going back to orbit. I just looked for an incoming Public Event flag to refill everything, then launched the mission.

b) By the time my group made it to the boss room, we had almost no power ammo left. Our plan was to use our power ammo early, in order to burn through the early combat rooms as quickly as possible, leaving us lots of time for the bosses. When we reached the bosses, we used what little Power ammo we had left, then switched to Polaris Lance (well 2 of us did... the 3rd used whatever scout rifle he had with him. But I would absolutely recommend Polaris Lance due to its ammo-replenishing and burning perks). From there, we used the same campy/long range strategy as we'd normally use, just using scout rifles instead of snipers. It worked out just fine. Definitely a bit slower than using Whispers to melt the bosses, but we still had plenty of time to spare. To give some specifics, we reached the boss room with about 9 minutes left, and finished the mission with about 2.5 minutes remaining.

Hope that's helpful for anyone looking to run this mission this weekend. I'll be around to help out as well, if anyone needs a teammate.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread