Haven't read it. S.King ain't my style. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 10, 2018, 13:36 (2058 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I still maintain that his short stories are far better than any of his novels. Dude doesn’t know when to shut up.

lol - I love his writing, I love many of his novels, but I'd say his biggest fault is that he doesn't know how to WRAP up. I'm good with really long stories, I just want the ending to be good, when it finally comes. And that's something he's NEVER been very good at. (I think I'd agree it's less of a problem with short stories, simply because they're short to begin with; he can just end and I'm happy. Novels need SOMETHING more than that.)

Honestly, I think a lot of my opinion just comes from The Stand. You could cut that book in half and it would still be about 30% longer than it needs to be. I think you could probably ditch the first 200 pages and it wouldn’t matter at all.

And this coming from the guy that likes The Fellowship of the Ring the best, loves The Council of Elrond, etc. I love world-building and long stories. I don’t know, maybe I just don’t actually like Stephen King’s writing that much (although, again, his short stories are great).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread