FWIW-Try this? (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 14:22 (2057 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Also this speed up download speeds!

Eh..... generally, no. DNS only functions as a directory service, looking up human-readable names like "destiny.bungie.org" and translating them to IP addresses like "192.155.240.34," which is what the computer then actually uses to connect to the server. After that lookup is done, DNS has NO role in the subsequent connection - it only tells the machine what endpoint to connect to. The only way you'd get faster download speeds using one DNS service vs. another is if one of them was giving you a different answer on that initial lookup. That CAN happen if:

a) a very recent IP address change has occurred ont he server you're looking for, and one of them still has the old info cached
b) one or more of them has been manually configured to give a specific answer, rather than dynamically looking it up (which is the "normal" behavior)
c) DNS-based load balancing is in use (where the same service is available from multiple servers, and DNS is intentionally set up to rotate people looking for it between several possible hosts).

C is actually pretty common for large-scale services, but I wouldn't expect changing your DNS server to cause you to get a better host assigned consistently.

All that being said, Google's DNS service IS good, and I absolutely do recommend using it. I have seen ISP DNS servers have all kinds of bizarre problems which cause users to be totally down, unable to connect to some services but not others, etc. But Google's DNS servers almost never have any downtime, and their response times are, weirdly, often faster than your local ISP's, which means just a few milliseconds less delay between when something first starts trying to connect, and when it actually does connect. That results in things just... feeling slightly snappier, in general.

You can do Auto settings for the rest of it on your PS4, just change your DNS settings to:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

It may not make a difference, but maybe it can help someone.

Yeah, even if it doesn't help your XBL issues, it's still worth doing. Personally, I'd try to do it at the router if you know how to access it - that way everything on the network will end up using Google.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread