Disagree

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 22:42 (4084 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What I'm saying should be absolutely positively uncontroversial. If you can only play on official servers, and if those official servers have rules (which they will), then it necessarily follows that you are more limited in how you can play versus a game that also lets you play in a place where you can make your own rules. Disprove this. You can't, because it's airtight.

The only game that truly lets me make my own rules is called "Levi's Brain". It's good, you should check it out sometime. :)

From my view, my original response already covered showed how your theory isn't airtight. Hack the game, create your own server, play how you want.

Think of the flipside:

You could say Halo CE was limited to how I could play, since it didn't have an online mode. I wanted one. I used XBox Connect to trick my XBox into thinking it was playing a LAN.

To me, this is equivalent to glitching an offline mode to do something Bungie didn't intend, because Bungie didn't intend for me to play online in Halo CE either. It would also be equivalent to forging your own server for a hacked Destiny game. If you want to glitch, trick, or cheat in any game, you just have to make it happen different ways. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's hard.

Who cares how much or how little Bungie's rules clash with how you personally want to play? The point is, that it's necessarily and by its very nature limiting players into only playing in ways that Bungie officially endorses.

Without modding or glitching, I've never been able to play a game any way I wanted (besides resorting to purely my imagination). I'm always limited by something, even in the freest games I've played. I can't get past the map border in Age of Empires, I can't fly in Sonic without Chaos Emeralds, I can't play off the board in chess, I can't play offline in Destiny. That doesn't mean, like chess, that what Destiny does offer isn't a ridiculous multitude of freedoms. If executed brilliantly, perhaps more freedoms than all the ways you could have glitched in an offline mode.

Destiny is an online game. It isn't a sequel that did away with a campaign - it isn't going back on its word yet. Is it what it is, and we know only a small percentage of what means. Hell, there could be a server-world where rules are enforced and one where anything goes! Why not try optimism for a change?

You're currently complaining to a butcher about the lack of vegetarian offers, and you're not even through the front door yet!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread