Forum: Visited link color ages/wears out

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 18, 2013, 02:52 (4057 days ago) @ scarab

Good, it's not just me! I thought maybe the ID was changing due to an update, but I guess if it's stored in cookies or expiring data on the server, it's unavoidable.

Your visited links are shared across machines and platforms so I assume that they are held on the server. The server wont have infinite space.

Yeah, not sure why I said cookies there :P They are server-held to be cross machine, and forcefully expired after a certain length to save space (why store potentially years of visited links?) Yet, the server might not even break a sweat at a week, or at least a few days...

Why not let the browser also allow visited links to be retained?
eg, don't override the a:visited css declaration; set its style to be the same as the explicit a.read class?

I don't know what that is but I imagine if they don't know if a link has been visited (no info on server) then maybe they can fall back to the browser.

Looks like Wu tried that but the css wasn't optimal (borked the whole site). I'd be more than willing to examine the setup myself :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread