Looks kind of dumb, so it's very Star Wars alright. (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 18, 2019, 19:55 (1842 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

She even loses her temper and beats him in a duel.

Whoa whoa whoa! No. Watch that scene again. While Rey does get the upper hand in the end by wielding her lightsaber vs Luke's walking stick, Luke was clearly toying with her up until then. It was very nearly the "dueling with one hand while stifling a yawn with the other" trope. He easily blocks and dodges her first few attacks then hits her in the back. He fends off her next attacks and then catches her staff and disarms her, throwing her staff away from her. That is not Luke being beat. If he'd had a lightsaber he would have equally embarrassed her. I enjoy the heck out of that scene because it shows that Luke still has it. That he was still the master in the moments he allowed himself to be.

Rey’s whole time with Luke was more about showing that he needed her more than she needed him.

I look at Luke and Rey's time as almost two completely separate stories that just happen to temporarily cross.

Rey's story is about separating herself from what she believed was her past. She needed to accept that her parents were not coming back and that even the legendary Luke Skywalker was not someone who was going to solve all her problems. It's so much the trope of "us old guys need to get out of the way, it's the young / current generation that has to solve our problems now." My hope is that Luke's teaching about the Jedi and Sith both being wrong becomes important in IX. But beyond that, Luke was just a minor temporary character in Rey's own story.

Luke's story, similarly, is only tangentially and indirectly affected by Rey. What Luke needed was to learn that failure was not the end. Luke was stuck, trapped in a moment of regret (kinda like his father was), but Rey didn't help him out of it. Look at Luke's two lessons. They are both stuck talking about what Jedi weren't and how they failed.

And this is the lesson: That "Force" does not belong to the Jedi. To say that if the Jedi die the Light dies is vanity. Can you feel that?

Lesson 2: Now that they're extinct, the Jedi are romanticized, deified, but if you strip away the myth and look at their deeds, the legacy of the Jedi is failure. Hypocrisy. Hubris.

When Rey left, Luke was ready to destroy everything and end the Jedi Order. It wasn't Rey who cured him of that. She offered him one last chance to help her and he refused, so she left him to it. It took Yoda to remind him that passing on the lessons of failure is just as important as anything. And even though Luke was stuck on his failure, he did pass on those lessons, both about the Jedi's failures and about his own.

I really hope episode IX address that. It's why I like that theory about Skywalker becoming the new name of Force users who are in balance. The Sith can keep their Chaos, the Jedi can keep their Order. The Skywalkers can be the balance the galaxy really needed. Plus, if Rey is the first of this new order of Skywalkers, then she would also be The Last Jedi... and syncing up with the title of the previous movie in a clever way would make me smile.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread