In a way, Cody’s Hawkmoon was even worse... (Criticism)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Saturday, September 28, 2019, 11:59 (1678 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I know it easier to say than do, but . . .

They can’t manipulate you if you don’t let them. I’d like to have 1000 Voices, but I don’t let that be my motivating factor for playing. For the most part, I’ve found a place where I play what I want for the fun of it. There are always things in the game that I’m chasing, and I let those serve as goals that pull me to one activity or another, but as soon as I’m no longer having fun in that activity, I do something else.

As another example, I play this iPhone game called Marvel Contest of Champions. It's a fun game to play. The core game play is very well done. However, the developers are asshats who are in it for the money. They know it, the gamers/community knows it. So everyone plays to what they are willing to do. I personally like the game and don't spend any money even at my own detriment, but I joined a group of people who all just give the developers the middle finger and keep playing a pretty darned good game. We make the game what we want it to be.

Is the game manipulative? Sure, but we aren't manipulated.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread