A step back with TLOU II Casting (Fan Creations)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, January 16, 2024, 07:05 (102 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Glad you liked it. I liked Emma Stone’s description—that it’s a romcom where the main character falls in love with the world.

The world of MAN. While watching it struck me she never really traveled or experienced anything natural; everything was built by people. Cities. Boats. Houses and laboratories. Nothing in the state of nature so to speak. The park at the start was the closest, but this is curated nature.

I assume you are using MAN to mean mankind here? I find that criticism odd, in that it doesn't really fit the story. Would we criticize You've Got Mail because it never shows any of New York's two million rats? I think the movie is more or less a comedy of manners, which by definition occurs in the curated world. Bella is the natural thing, bouncing off the guard rails. And aren't some of those guard rails part of the structure that protects mankind from the predations of the natural world? I could imagine a scene where she reacts to the preternatural beauty of the ocean and sky (in this fictional world), but does serve the theme? Everything has to fit. But maybe we're coming up against the limits of Emma Stone's description.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread