The end of haloreach.isnotcanon.net (Fan Creations)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 09, 2024, 18:25 (20 days ago)

Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a 'Star Trek' fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'.

Leonard Nimoy, Reuters May 5, 2009

Almost 15 years ago, haloreach.isnotcanon.net was created. Designed to poke fun at Bungie's storytelling choices, it kind of spiraled into something else. And yes. At the time, we were upset Bungie chose to 'ignore' aspects of Fall of Reach.

As time goes on, I care less an less about the tiny details like this. Especially with the Halo show, I see how a rigid adherence to 'canon' prevents a lot of people from giving the show a chance to simply be what it is. Life's better when you look at something on its own terms - when you let it be its own thing and you evaluate it for what it is, not what you want it to be.

The idea has run its course. Bungie has regressed in their storytelling ability so much since then that the criticisms feel quaint. No point in harping on it when we can simply move on and look to the future.

Don't worry about canon. Enjoy Reach if it pleases you.

Enjoy Final Shape, or Marathon, or whatever else Bungie may or may not have in the pipeline. Or don't. It's up to you. But have an open mind and engage with what's presented. Especially Marathon. There's no way Hamish won't find a zillion mistakes in the canon for that.

Some people from Bungie took it personally. Perhaps they were right to be annoyed. The notion was perhaps unreasonably provocative. A relic of a once affronting internet persona.

It's said nobody hates Star trek more than Star Trek fans. This is why. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. It's a better way to live.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread