Beta timing (Destiny)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Friday, February 07, 2014, 10:16 (3736 days ago)

Bungie has given a release frame of "Summer 2014" for the Destiny beta. This year, summer begins on June 21 and ends on September 22.

Bungie has also given Destiny's release date of September 9.

Historically, we've never been so lucky as to get the beta on the first day it could possibly be available. And in fact, it would be extremely possible for the beta would be pushed back to Fall if that weren't impossible with a September 9 full release date. The beta would also probably take at least a couple of weeks to run its course. And even if you did a BF4-style "beta" and release the game a week after it ended, you'd need a week of padding after that.

So, realistically, the beta launch window is July 7 - August 19.

But even if the beta were released at the earliest point in the window, we'd be looking at a little over 5 weeks between the end of the beta and the game's release date. And that's at the most. How much work can realistically be done in 5 weeks?

Halo 3 had about 3 months between the end of beta and launch. Reach had about 4 months.

In a larger sense, I think we're seeing public betas shift from being actual betas toward being interactive advertisements in the form of mostly-complete games barring some weapon balancing. This is best exemplified by BF4. I'd like to believe Destiny is bucking this trend, but looking at the timeline they've proposed I don't think it's likely.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread