Oh please let this be April Fools Day +10 (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 00:17 (3634 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am well aware of that--I don't have this nostalgic fantasy where everyone I remember from Oni forward has stayed on Bungie forever just because it was "awesome". I will be the first to say I don't keep track of every single arrival and departure within--I doubt I'd be able to anyway. However, this is one of the highest opined and most well known faces of Bungie itself we're talking about here. This is an icon--a legend. Not a single person in the music OR gaming world will ever be able to utter even these three simple words--'four notes ascending'--without instantly recognizing that spark of unfathomable greatness. Hell, I have friends and family members--those who can't even spell Xbox or pick up a controller--enjoying most of his music. I feel a small twinge of discomfort associating with the casual audience, but for chrissake, the main theme of Halo might as well be the new World 1-1.

If Marty had quit, this whole thing would be a different story. I'd be in tears(of sadness, and not the raging furious denial I'm going through right now), I'd be shocked, saddened and maybe even a little hurt--but I'd respect Marty's wish for further immortality through composition. Hell, I'd be happy for Him. But to be fired, literally SCARRED with that permanent mark of financial, vocational (and likely emotional) damage like that is the worst thing they could ever do. And then for no goddamn reason either. NOW, Marty may not have wanted to tell us when that tweet was issued, what happened, or if there actually was a reason or not. I'm honestly hoping to God that he actually did do something really bad, because that would be a 2nd story, one more sensible.

Pretty much every job I applied for, got, didn't get, etc. they almost all say "X has the right to terminate with or without due cause", boilerplate crap. But you need to do better than that when you're telling somebody that they no longer have a job; a CAREER. A dependable source of income. A method of keeping a roof over your head.

I'm not worried about Marty finding another music job. At this point in His life, His resume can just be a single sheet of notebook paper with the following written on three lines:

'Four Notes Ascending'

'Flinstones Kids'

and a crudely drawn picture of a microphone hitting the floor.

(I'm not gonna lie, picturing that actually made me feel a lot better.)

But that 'no cause' shit you save for interns and greenhorn rookies. You throw away the man who redefined modern video game composition, you give Him (and honestly, His millions of fans) a reason why.

2000, an enormous part of video game history and 'No Cause'?!

FUCK.

THEM.

I honestly cannot wait for 343 Industries to announce Halo:Every Damn Game In The Series Anniversary Anniversary Anniversary at E3 so I can swear Halo off altogether.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread