Why stop there? (Destiny)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 00:16 (3627 days ago) @ Quirel
edited by uberfoop, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 00:25

That's not correct. A scene shot with anamorphics vs a scene shot with regular lenses would look completely different, if cropped to form identical frames. Because of the lens elements, light sources bounce very differently, bokeh is different, straight surfaces become slightly curved at the lens' edge, depth of field radically changes, etc. It's not just a simple transform since inside the lens the light is doing a ton of stuff bouncing between elements. Anamorphic has a 'look' to it. (Those streaky lens flares JJ Abrams loves only show up on anamorphics for example).

I thought those were added in postproduction.

Well, that sort of thing can be added in postproduction. But I wouldn't be astounded if even JJ Abrams sometimes just picks it up with a lens.

That's how those effects as they pertain to computer-generated imagery were invented, of course. Even extremely exaggerated "omg bright lights" effects are usually pretty closely based on real-world optical behavior, in some qualitative sense.

(And this all includes eyeballs; I always get a kick out of people claiming that bloom lighting is bad because it's not a real effect experienced by human eyes.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread