The City's location and its roots in the Halo Universe (Destiny)

by roland ⌂ @, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 12:10 (3664 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I have to agree with Ragashingo.

[image]

This animated GIF is suggestive, but (and I say this with the utmost respect for your analysis Jordan) it falls into the realm of pseudoscience. A "three-peaked mountain" does not a unique location make. Without any idea of the relative perspectives between the two images you are comparing, and without equivalent lighting (much of the mountain is shadowed in the Destiny image) of the mountain faces, it makes any comparison very difficult.

I also agree with Ragashingo that the scale of Kilamanjaro and surrounding geography doesn't seem consistent with the screenshots we've seen.

This is a cool piece of work, Jordan, and I really like the philosophical tie-ins to the cradle of human civilization. I just happen to think cutting all ties to Halo is more sexy.

Related to this, here's something I've been thinking about... I'm confused by how cold it looks in all the screenshots we've seen of the City, Traveler and surrounding areas, and how that doesn't make much sense in a potential equatorial climate like Puerto Princessa. And many of the mountains in the Philippines are volcanic in origin, unlike those we've seen so far. So maybe the location is at a much higher latitude than the Philippines, or the Traveler has done some climate changing of the Earth as well as the other planets.

Side note: Puerto Princessa has some cool geology. It sits at an intersection of several tectonic boundaries, called the Philippine Mobile Belt... here's a quote from wikipedia.

"The Philippine Mobile Belt is a complex portion of the tectonic boundary between the Eurasian Plate and the Philippine Sea Plate, comprising most of the country of the Philippines. It includes two subduction zones, the Manila Trench to the west and the Philippine Trench to the east, as well as the Philippine Fault System. Within the Belt, a number of crustal blocks or microplates which have been sheared off the adjoining major plates are undergoing massive deformation"

If that doesn't get you excited I don't know what will :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread