Speculation?! I like Speculation! (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 13, 2014, 10:21 (3604 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, June 13, 2014, 10:26

To be honest, I'm feeling a little left out. I don't have access to Destiny like some of you fancy people, but I do have access to the trailers. I really enjoyed the newest E3 trailers and thought it would be fun to focus on the non-gameplay stuff. I'll leave it to you guys to keep popping up amazing revelations found in game. :)

My favorite trailer is the Jason Jones Destiny summation. (As usual, many of these images are clickable thumbnails, don't be shy!)

We start with a spacecraft of some kind approaching a new, "space exploration" Bungie logo.
[image]

If you watch closely, there's a bit of "computer distortion" and a few interesting bits of text pop up:
[image] [image] [image]

That's "CH05 EXPEDITION MODE" "VIDEO FEED ON" and "NUMBER OF PERSONNEL: 03" if those are hard to make out.

Moving on we get some amazingly beautiful sci-fact-like imagery:
[image]

There's all sorts of detail in this sequence. Like where the entry vehicle is still using little thrusters to keep orriented as it slams down into Mars' atmosphere:
[image]

Or the very Mars Curiosity-like dropping away of the heat shield.
[image]

Or the rocket powered touch down. Note the aditional rockets above the landing legs. This lander is built capable of launching a smaller piece back home, similar to the landers on the Apollo missions!
[image]

From there we see our first three Legends:
[image]

I can't imagine that it's a coincidence that these three are arrayed very much like we see Guardian fire teams in all of Destiny's marketing material. And look! They're all carrying guns!
[image]

Just what did we think we would find on Mars? Presumably we detected massive changes and this spherical "ship" settling down into the atmosphere, we have the telescopes and orbiters and radar to do that today. Did we send these explorers with guns on the thought that we should not leave our people unable to defend themselves if they came across hostile aliens? Would we really send people with guns on a real mission like this? Or maybe it's all marketing related tied back to the three person fire team allusion?

These legends are pretty awesome looking, but a couple of things stood out to me. First, while we only get a good full look at two of them, they are clearly designated for different roles by patches on their suits:
[image] and [image]
Flight and... power or engineering or something?

There was one other interesting patch that seemed to be on all three of them:
[image]
Hmm... that looks familiar. Oh yeah:
[image]

So what have our exploration Legends found? That's right! The Traveler:
[image]
Nice to see it largely undamaged. Largely, because look there in middle right:
[image]
That's not a perfectly smooth surface there. If I had to wager, I'd guess that The Traveler has seen combat before!

Next comes the most powerful part of this entire trailer for me. Rain on Mars. To the best of my knowledge it does not rain on Mars, which is why this:
[image]and this [image] and this: [image]
Are so exciting to me!

It's so simple a concept, but so powerful if you're even slightly into real life space exploration. The perfect balance of epic fiction with The Traveler and real space exploration with the very realistic looking human spacecraft and explorers. THIS is what Destiny is all about! :)

And I'll leave off there... others can poke through and stream and record and comment on gameplay a lot better than I can. Before I go though, there were a couple of neat things I saw in the New Beginnings trailer:

First, the wolf themed breastplate armor was named
[image]
Yes, the Crest of the Alpha Wolf... except Alpha Lupi was also the website and presumably the star that the community received signals from in order to gain our very first glimpse into Destiny.
[image]

That it has shown up again is interesting... and possibly significant.

The trailer also shows the Director interface including The Reef and some of the planets we can visit, but it also shows the curious symbol of Vanguard:
[image]
Do we know what this is yet? Or are some of Destiny's features still a mystery to us?

I did think it was a lot of fun to get some more hints of FTL travel in the Destiny universe, with the approach to Mars, not the mention the load screen for traveling to Crucible locations:
[image][image]
Those ships look fantastic by the way!

Maybe my favorite shot though was this:
[image]
It's one of the few good ones where we really get to see how big The Traveler is in relation to Earth. (I don't suppose anybody can pinpoint it's location based on this image? I'm still curious where The City really is!)

Finally, one of the neatest things was watching Humanity launch outward after The Traveler came and orbited Earth. This is the beginning of our Golden Age! Also note the little symbols surrounding Earth. Could be important...
[image]

That's all I've got for now. Exciting stuff. I can't wait to play! :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread