Did a JRPG pour sugar in your gas tank? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 13:14 (3623 days ago) @ Malagate

Won't argue here. The departure from Nylund's text completely disconnected me from my investment in any Halo storyline since. I wasn't wholly dissatisfied with what we got, by my investment was shot at that point.

Some wonder if that was on purpose /conspiratorial tone. I liked the departure, actually, and I thought the biggest problem with Reach was the team did not quite overcome the challenge of fleshing out and making us care (enough) about an unknown cast of characters when we pretty much knew from the start that they are goners. (I'm charitable about it, though, because in a sense I think they inadvertently set themselves up for failure.) All that said, the tone and sense of place in the game were as well handled as in any game they've made. I liked the darker, more mature, more ambiguous world of Reach. (More gray area, Malagate.)

Gameplay-wise I still call it Halo's greatest hits. It's my deserted island Halo, the sampler pack, the culmination of a decade of fun.

Investment aspects? I wanted a black visor. I worked for it, but I could have not done so. I don't see it as a zero sum situation where if Reach had not had that sort of thing, that development work would've been applied toward making it a better game in other aspects.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread