encryption is the armour lock/bubble shield of loot (Destiny)

by scarab @, Monday, July 21, 2014, 14:07 (3560 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by scarab, Monday, July 21, 2014, 14:19

The best way to streamline it is to remove it altogether. It is innately broken.

What is the point of encrypting them?

Is it that, occasionally, you get a happy surprise and you don't know until you unwrap the present?

In a sense you get that just by picking up those coloured regular polygons. Any one of them could be a nice surprise.

Encrypting them might prolong the anticipation but I never dwell on them. How much time do you spend wondering if your encrypted item is going to be great?

I concentrate on picking my next mission, navigation, and head shots. I have forgotten what I picked up. It's major effect on my mind is that my inventory slots are filling up and I don't know whether to ditch a good known for the off chance that I am carrying an unknown, encrypted, great item. I need to get to the tower to find out if I should have binned it as soon as I picked it up.

What does anyone else think? What is the point of encryption? Does it work for you? Could it be optional? If you like it then keep it switched on. I suspect that, given the choice, everyone would switch it off.

This is something that a beta could have measured - what proportion of the players actually want the feature?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread