Ignorant Fanboy Rant (Destiny)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, July 21, 2014, 21:53 (3566 days ago) @ Numinar

Is it perhaps slower on emulated hardware? I didn't have much time for the 360 versions of these games due to the bugs, and my H1 Disc disintegrating due to what I imagine was old age and overuse.

I play Halo 1 almost exclusively on my oXbox.

I remember Halo 1 only bringing the initial loading screen per game session, or if there was one between levels it was super quick.

It's not horribly long, but I'm not sure it's any faster than the initial load time.

Actually, seems like you're more likely to get a fast load at the start of a game session, as continuing where you left off in a level means that the level is already HDD-cached and loads basically instantly (it's possible to go from cold boot to gameplay in under 30 second on oXbox by taking advantage of this).

But whatever it was, it was nothing like it is now. Halo 3 even cached the selected level in the lobby (Maybe Destiny does this without showing off).

Sort of. Halo 3 still has some load times between levels. Halo 3 caches a LOT of data (including huge amounts of sound data), though, and it's especially noticeable at the start of a session.

There was also a good hour or so per mission, so any small break/cinematic/loading screen was no biggie.

That's a major factor. Load times are less annoying when you experience them less often; Sonic 2006's loading isn't ridiculous because the screens are long, it's ridiculous because you wind up going through several of them to get anything done (for no apparent reason, in that case).

That's perhaps a big issue for Destiny because there's often reason to bounce around between things. Especially given that you have to go to orbit to switch what you're doing, which a game with so much switching about really shouldn't require.

//==========

I haven't bothered clocking load times to compare between all the games, but load screens between levels is very typical for Bungie games.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread