Bungie Beta Test question feedback

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:32 (4053 days ago) @ Avateur

First (and this one is a very personal gripe of mine, something that bothers me in general on surveys and studies and research questions that for some reason seem to confuse what "gender" really means), the question on what my gender is. Does the social construction for what defines me based on norms and what society may dictate really relate to what Bungie is really asking for, aka my sex? Nope. It'd be nifty if this were to be corrected in the future.

I get what you're saying, and kapowaz has a good point too about some people being in-between. I've filled out a lot of forms and taken a lot of surveys and (although almost half of them had an "I prefer not to say" option) maybe two of them have had some kind of "in-between" or "none of the above" or "other" option.

Second, the question, "Have you ever been a member or leader of a clan, guild, or other online gaming group?" leads to three answers:

Yes, as a member
Yes, as a leader
No"

More than one answer may be true.

I think they mean for it to cascade-- "leader" supersedes "member".

Third, the question "In a game, I typically play more:

Campaign/Story
Multiplayer - Cooperative
Multiplayer - Competitive"

I get that they're trying to narrow it down, but it significantly depends on the game. I have friends who play the hell out of ME3's multiplayer, but I hardly touch it and have instead played plenty of campaign. The same goes for Assassin's Creed. But then I have games like Halo, where depending on which Halo game it is, I've easily played more campaign than multiplayer, more competitive multiplayer than other forms, or more cooperative multiplayer than anything else. Games now adays do a great job of appealing to multiple forms of entertainment, and it's not exactly easy to decipher where I fit in with what Bungie may be looking for. I really want to go 50/50 campaign/competitive multiplayer.

This kind of thing used to just stump me, it was one of my big downfalls.
There are three things you can do here.

You could also just not answer but then you can't finish the survey, which was the end goal, so I left that out.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread