Because he wasn't wrong (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 27, 2014, 20:27 (3593 days ago) @ someotherguy

That was a "Yes, you're absolutely right. But it'll *feel* bigger I swear". Which we've heard before from a million other debs.

Now, this is Bungie so I trust them to mean it, but still - my biggest concern all along has been that it will feel less 'mythic fantasy' and more short story.

Again, remember how Bungie said Halo 2's great Journey could fit all of the geometry from Halo inside it? That was true. But, which was more fun, all of Halo, or the single level Great Journey?

Destiny does not really get a lot of 'Bang for Your Buck' so to speak, out of the modeled areas, since they are:

1. Mostly Empty
2. Don't contain designed encounters, but rather roving enemy packs
3. Story missions are not substantial
4. Explore mode missions suck

As such, because of the way Bungie designed Destiny, it really NEEDS tons of content to stay fun. Marathon and Halo did more with less, because the games were more concentrated in their design.

It doesn't matter if we are going to play for months, if those months are going to be spent replaying the same things over and over for better loot, or to complete bounties. Again, I'd rather have a game like Vanquish that packs such a dense experience into its levels, rather than a vast expanse that is empty with missions that don't feel as substantial.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread