Destiny's worst feature (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 10:59 (3551 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Halo had this truly great element of users creating their own kind of content for it. It started with deep custom match features in CE, to forge and films in 3, a basic map editor and custom single player challenges via firefight in Reach.

Destiny seems much more directed and designed, there's much less room to make our own types of fun and content.

I mean, I get it, all those things don't work well in this vision of a cohesive "Shared Shooter World" but that stuff was staggeringly important to Halo developing a following, and something of a Bungie hallmark. Seeing it dumped unceremoniously seems like an awful decision in the long run to me. A player base ability to consume is always going to outstrip a developers ability to generate new content, so the ability to create new game types and experiences within a few rule tweaks was huge to Halo's success.

Don't get me wrong, Destiny looks like a massive content bomb. That's finite though, a good community can stretch it out for years.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread