What? (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 06:04 (3529 days ago) @ kapowaz

The beta is done and dusted, the game is under 6 weeks away, but for some reason we're still in the dark about core gameplay concepts. From today's Eurogamer article about raids in Destiny:

Destiny's exact level cap has yet to be stated, but Smith talks of content designed for characters higher than level 20 that you'll need to continue working towards.

Why, this late in the game, won't you just tell us what the level cap is? This is not a spoiler! Worse, this seems to be symptomatic of an ill-advised desire to keep details under your hat for some ‘big reveal’, only when you actually do reveal them people just nod and say ‘Ok’. In short: there's no benefit to keeping them to yourself.

Mere days before the beta started, DeeJ was typically tight-lipped about what the level cap in the beta would be:

It's not something we've revealed yet. But all will become apparent within a matter of days.

…implying that maybe it wasn't set in stone, or that it might change during the course of the beta. But no; it was 8. The level cap was 8. For the whole beta. So why not just say that? Why exactly would you waste peoples’ time by suggesting it might be more complicated than that? I'm wondering just how many collective hours players in the beta wasted hoarding level 9+ items in their vault, in vain hope they might get to use them in the beta.

A little bit of mystery is fine, but I'm sick and tired of this faux-enigmatic attitude. It's not helpful, and if you keep it up it's inevitably going to make gamers feel short-changed when the truth emerges (already there have been many conversations about how the breadth of the explorable worlds feels like a bait-and-switch). Is it so much to ask that you treat your customers like adults?

A lot of what Destiny is, is very hard to explain and much better experienced to truly understand.

I don't see how giving us whatever details we demand is treating us like adults.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread