What? (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 07:51 (3549 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

You need to experience the level cap to understand what it is?

Arguably yes, in relation to other RPGs/MMOs/etc. For some folks "level cap" means the character can't improve beyond that point and you're just casting about for better loot; that's not how it works in Destiny

That doesn't seem to chime with my understanding of how levelling works based on what Bungie have said, but maybe that's part of the problem, that they haven't been clear about that either. One article I read suggested that once you hit the level cap you continue to gain experience that can be used to create motes of light, another currency to use on items and other upgrades. But otherwise the standard MMO pattern of hitting the level cap and then focusing on improving your gear seems very much to be how Destiny's endgame will work. What have you read that seems to contradict that?

I'd argue that fixating on a number is like the bizzare fixation on Matchmaking ranks back when Halo actually showed a number for them.

There's no comparison; one of these is a relative indicator of skill, the other is a point on a linear progression line that everyone can eventually reach, just in different timeframes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread