What? (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 08:01 (3556 days ago) @ kidtsunami

1. Bungie is releasing details about the game when and how they would like to, likely to make sure excitement about the game builds a certain way as well as make sure it's communicated in an easy to understand way.

2. You are demanding more details/information. How else would you describe what your post is? You're complaining about not getting more information?

I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding with what I'm taking issue with, so perhaps I explained myself badly. This happened last time when DeeJ told me that my ‘impatience’ was appreciated, too — it's not impatience, and I'm not demanding more information. What I'm irritated by is the tone of communication which continues to be: we'll tell you some stuff but leave loads of it vague and wishy-washy, regardless of how basic and non-controversial it is because hey that's just how we roll.

Are you going to complain that you don't have a list of the bosses from the game? That there isn't a confirmed list of what every weapon and it's rarity is? My problem is that the scope of the details you want appears arbitrary and I see no good reason why it's important that you get it.

Other than the specific example of the level cap, I haven't actually really ‘demanded’ details on anything. And I do think there are loads of details which do justify being kept secret for players to discover for themselves (I wrote some examples in my initial reply, then deleted them because I thought it was too nitpicky; I guess it would have been more helpful to illustrate what I meant).

So then: level cap: not a spoiler; exotic weapons in the game spoiler!; number of raids/strikes in the game not a spoiler; location and details about what happens in raids/strikes: spoiler!.

Also I take issue with your definition of patronising, I don't think it means what you're trying to say.

My interpretation is that they think they know what's best for us. I dispute that; when you're talking about a massive scale game, then the chances are that a team of a few hundred is going to be wrong about a few things once a few million players get their hands on it and start working out the details. I think you have to accept this as truth, because that is what has happened with every large-scale game once it gets out into the public. Perhaps it's going a little too far to say that this is Bungie's overwhelming tone, but it certainly shows in flashes, and I think patronising is definitely the word I'd use to describe it when it happens.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread