Want vs Need (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 11:53 (3548 days ago) @ marmot 1333
edited by Kermit, Thursday, July 31, 2014, 12:42

When it comes to information releases, Bungie has had long-scale game plan in mind, even since the game got leaked early. I'm sure there was a spreadsheet or a whiteboard somewhere with weeks-till-launch and what information got released when. They have definitely been drip-feeding us information for a long time now, slowly, slowly, but surely.

For me the Beta was incredibly exciting: this game that I had read about, thought about, for over a year: I was finally playing it, with my own two paws!

I feel the same way. In regards to the slow-drip method of dispensing information, that's the Bungie way, and it's actually something that I admire. It requires a certain amount of trust from their fans, but they've earned that trust from me. I like when a company, be they Apple or Bungie, has the courage of their convictions and the confidence that they are building something special that they like and are excited about. My experience tells me that if they like it, I will, too. To me, they've earned the right to let the company name on the business card do a lot of the talking for them. They could lose that right, certainly, but until they do I delight in the not-knowing. They've demonstrated to me that they're smart and they have what Steve Jobs called taste. A lot of game companies actually do treat fans like children, while they play the over-indulgent, doting parents. We'll give you this and that, and if you throw a big enough tamtrum, we'll put peanut butter on your spaghetti, because who doesn't like peanut butter, right? I'd much rather have a company full of talent and vision that delivers something we didn't know we wanted on launch day over a more transparent company that delivers what they delivered last year but with the claim that this time they REALLY listened to the fans.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread