I didn't know what Rule 34 was.... (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 29, 2014, 22:33 (3530 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

...and now I kinda wish I still didn't.

Aside from (or in addition to) making people go "eugh" or being, well, hot, it can also be really funny, and the responses to it, even by people that are very familiar with rule 34, can be very funny, so there's that.
I like it philosophically. I like that we, the people of the Internet, can take this absurd statement ("There's a risque and explicit depiction or version of every single fictional character") and make it pretty much as near a universal fact as anything relying on human beings can get. I like it because it shows a rule or law doesn't always need some kind of force behind it to be followed-- no one's making people do this (a substantial amount of rule 34 is commissioned from various artists, but they usually do other art too and often don't make a living as artists, so they usually have a lot of choice in taking these commissions). I like it because for many people there is passion in it-- not passion, though there is plenty of that, I mean blood, sweat, and tears go into making the better examples of it, which shows that anything and everything is worth doing if you make it worth doing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread