Honestly I think this debate is getting pointless...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 28, 2013, 19:57 (4064 days ago) @ Avateur

There are obviously a few hear who don't want any microtransactions of any kind in their games, which is fine, we all have a right to our opinions. I think the only conclusion that I've drawn from this and similar threads is: some games have microtransactions that don't break the game and some do. I think the main problem I have with the whole situation is the overgeneralization.

For example:

Saying that microtransactions result in a crappier game because they want you to buy the extra content. WAY overgeneralization. The oldest form of what some people on here call microtransactions is an expansion pack, and the one that most games have now is a map pack or additional mission. Now unless these were being developed simultaneously with the game and they are holding onto them just to make money then this is not making the original game worse. As far as the smaller DLC packs like weapons: if you can unlock it normally that doesn't mean you have to "grind" to unlock the weapons. The reason it is known as grinding is because in RPG's the combat gets boring. If it's an FPS or similar action game and you enjoy the gameplay and would play it even if you wouldn't unlock something that is NOT grinding. I do not consider Halo Reach or ME3 to involve grinding because if I wasn't enjoying the actual gameplay I would stop.

Another example the other way:

Saying that microtransactions has improved the gaming industry is not just an overgeneralization but also impossible to verify. Sure if you are going by game sales and profits it has "improved" the gaming industry, but saying that it improves game quality is too overgeneralized. There are plenty of games (mobile games especially) that are absolute crap mostly because the developer decided they wanted to make a lot of money by selling you every single piece of content.

Sorry if my thoughts are a little random, I kind of wrote this stream-of-consciousness style.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread