My optimistic take on the Destiny story (Destiny)

by Earendil, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 14:59 (3479 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can't say anything about breaking bad, but if you stopped watching Game of Thrones after a few episodes thinking it was a complete story, you'd be lost, confused and angry. You're introduced to different people on different continents, all with motives that aren't clear, or even which side of "good and evil" they are on. We think we know who the protagonist is, but we can't be sure because there is no antagonist besides creepy creates which, after appearing in the first episode don't appear again for a few seasons and are rarely referenced.

I'd say that having an end story in mind is the perfect excuse for taking your time with a story. For example, if Bungie knows they have time, money, and talent for another 100 story missions, then they would have no problem making the first 10 a little disjointed. Many stories start out with the main characters not having a evident connection, and often times don't have one yet.

But like I said, I'm not going to say that they delivered what story we have correctly, only that I'm optimistic that it'll all make sense in time, and that taking it as a whole it'd be easy to forgive. What they've done is equivalent to hyping a good book to a friend, and then loaning them the first few pages without letting them know they aren't getting the entire book. It's a painful thing to do, and you'd get to the last page wondering how it was supposed to all make sense and it doesn't. Doesn't mean the book is bad in its entirety though, it just means you can't judge the story or parts of the story without knowing the entire piece. At least IMHO :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread