Obviously me, and many, many others

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 01, 2013, 13:11 (4045 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Against my better judgement, I'm going to ask you, Cody - why do you believe that everyone thinks as you do? What's wrong with people who want to play a game and buy content to circumvent pieces of the game they don't feel like playing?

Nothing, except for the fact that they are required to in the first place. If the game designers did their jobs to make the game as fun as possible, nobody would need to do this. The options are there because they expect people to use them, and they expect people to use them because they know lots of people will find certain portions of the game undesirable, because they designed it that way.

I want a developer to look at his game and at every part say "Pay to skip that? WHAT?! Why would anybody want to skip that? That part is awesome!" That is what we should strive for.

How is their opinion less valid than yours?

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about how tons of people don't like the Library. Bungie did their best to make that level as good as they could. They tried. When you expect players to pay for stuff obtainable by playing the game, you did not try your hardest to make the game good, because the expectation that a number of people will pay to not play is an admission that aspects of your game are not desirable to play, and that this is a purposeful decision.

There is a vast difference between running into a level of a game you personally find boring, and running into something intentionally designed to be unpleasant to temp you to pay to skip it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread