Not defending the business people, defending the developers

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 09:14 (4072 days ago) @ Beckx

See the issue I have with all these arguments is that there are two groups of people, the people who develop the game and the people that want to make as much money as humanly possible. Sure the developers want to make money, that's why they get paid to make games. BUT they also (for the most part) want to make great games. Bungie is one of these companies. I know as much as I can know before we actually play the game that if Bungie puts microtransactions in their game it will not hurt the core experience because that's not the game they themselves want to play, just like I don't want to play it. Activision in their contract doesn't have enough power to force them to do it as far as I can tell. In some relationships, IE EA and any of their in pocket developers EA has almost all the power, so the developers put it in. Now for games like ME3 it didn't break it because it's STILL the people that are developing the game that make the call of what to put in. If that changes, then yes I think we'll be in for some craptacular games, but with companies like Bungie still around to make awesome games, I tend to hold out hope.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread