Dude!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 22:01 (4066 days ago) @ Jillybean

Cody has a very strict equation for 'fun'. My time is an investment to me and I will not always prioritise some aspects of gaming - such as multiplayer.

In games, the fun must come from the interaction. I don't care how you choose to interact. Wander and explore the world. Try to master the mechanics. Piece together your own story. Do whatever you want. But when someone says they only care about the story, then they have no business spending their time in an interactive medium. There are games I play pretty much exclusively for the story (Snatcher, Policenauts, Final Fantasy games, etc). But 1. They are all terrible as games - Snatcher and policenauts have the barest of bare options for interaction (whihc consequently makes their story better, while the Final Fantasies would make better books so I don't have to pointlessly battle enemies with no skill or strategy involved), and 2. The story would be better told in a different medium. Deus Ex's story would NOT be better told in another medium, because when playing, I have a high degree of control over how it progresses because Deus Ex is highly interactive.

Is this making sense?

However, I do agree that there is an issue with microtransactions existing so you "pay not to play" I am not sure that it immediately follows that such microtransactions immediately makes the game bad, regardless of how much Cody yells.

It doesn't immediately make the game bad. It immediately makes the game worse. This distinction is very important.

Not all games are made for everybody. The kind of game I enjoy isn't the kind of game Cody enjoys, but that doesn't make me any less of a gamer and I resent being told I'm ruining the hobby!

You are only ruining the hobby if you have no interest in the medium's Raison d'être - Interactivity. I couldn't care less if you don't like the types of games I do. That's wonderful actually, since there are tons of genres and there is something for lots of different people.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread