Reply 2

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 04, 2013, 19:17 (4042 days ago) @ General Vagueness

If I wanted an emblem, and didn't have the time or desire to play 90 hours, I'd buy it. Would you rather they monetize something less mundane?

yes
way, way less mundane, please

So you're saying you want to monetize things that could actually affect gameplay. I'd rather they not have microtransactions, but cosmetic stuff would bother me less.

We tend to balk at the cost of everything, and we expect to be able to buy used games,

um, what? why shouldn't we expect to be able to buy used games? we can buy used... everything else; it's a common enough and supported enough expectation that there have been multiple lawsuits based on not being able to

I expect that right. It's my property. But Cliffy has a point, which is this does affect game companies' ability to make a profit and fund future games.

My larger point is that there is a cost to everything, and something has to give somewhere. Microsoft and Sony together lost $8 billion on hardware this generation. There is no free lunch, and there are no free games.

I'm hopeful, though, that things will work out. Assuming Cody's right, and microtransactions ruin gaming for a time, some creative people will invent a different model.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread