This guy gets it (Gaming)

by Jabberwok, Monday, October 20, 2014, 15:41 (3475 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Multiplayer achievements (and Destiny bounties) can help a game by motivating the player to explore and master mechanics they might have been otherwise ignoring. Unfortunately, they can influence player behavior away from what would be the optimal strategy for that particular match/moment (e.g. you're more likely to make bad melee attempts if you're trying to get a melee attack achievement/bounty). This is especially problematic when the same set of bounties are given to everyone at the same time -- when the queen bounties first appeared, crucible instantly became overcrowded with people exclusively using hand cannons and scout rifles trying to get headshots for their bounties.

Yeah, this is a problem for me, because I just got a special bounty to survive five strike missions in a row. If I actually try to do that, it's going to be a burden on the rest of the team, as I hang back and play it extra safe. If I'm on the fifth one, am I really going to take a risk to try and raise a downed teammate across the battlefield? I doubt it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread