Some things that need to be improved (Destiny)

by scarab @, Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 14:18 (3466 days ago)

We need context

The tone is wrong

Bungie needs to explain what is so Dark about the Cabal and Fallen or shut up about the Darkness in relation to them.

All this talk about the darkness feels, almost racist, reminiscent of British Empire attitudes to the dark skinned foreigners. I don't mean literally a comment on skin colour - it's more the idea that foreigners have the wrong gods, obscene gods and ungodly practices. Just by being not us makes them less than human. (Yeh, technically they are not human but, hopefully you know what I mean.)

We slag off the Fallen as being stupid but, it appears that, they can build their own stuff. We keep our ships flying by stealing other people's stuff. We collect skin husks and bone marrow to keep our ships flying. Are they powered by dandruff? We steal hip replacement parts from Vex to ??? make our shit work. Are we going to steal the gold out of pensioners' mouths?

We are violent thugs, parasites who call everybody else dark and steal their scraps to keep us going.

We make no knowledge of our own.

The golden age looks a bit crap

It's not the decay. Overall the art direction is amazing. Well most things look very nice but the stuff we scan looks very commonplace or underwhelming. I've scanned:

Have we sunk so low that this stuff impresses us?

How can this be improved?

Give us some amazing looking stuff to scan.

Lets see something that has improved since the golden age. Maybe our maths has advanced to the point where our cryptarchs can break stuff easily that had to be brute forced back in the day. So we have learned something for ourselves since the golden age. It had better NOT be something the traveller taught us (are we adults or children?).

The Destiny world is supposed to be a hopeful world - a place we want to visit. At the moment it feels: wrong, sickly, primitive-attituded, dependent intellectually as well as physically on the traveller. This world should have a renaissance - we should be making stuff of our own - making our own science - questioning reliance on the traveller.

Our enemies need to be more respected by Bungie and more worthy of respect by us. They also need to be more nuanced. I was interested when I saw that the Awoken had, what appeared to be, an alliance with the Fallen. But it turns out that the Fallen are like dogs. The Queen killed the pack leader and became the pack leader. We are figuratively fighting animals. Give us people to fight!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread