Materials, Currency, and Reputation Need a Redesign (Destiny)

by digital_ronin, Friday, October 24, 2014, 12:38 (3443 days ago) @ dogcow

1- Planet materials feel like they should really be uncommon. Also, I feel they should still be kept separate, but perhaps allowed to be traded for other planet materials (at a minor loss?).

I made weapon and armor parts uncommon because they can be found by dismantling any weapon or armor and are needed for upgrading rare gear. Planet material I made rare because you have to seek them out and you need them for upgrading legendary or exotic weapons.

2- Marks also feel like they shouldn't be at the rare level, but should be an uncommon currency, but I could be persuaded.

I went back and forth on this one and landed at rare because they are used to purchase legendary items. Just like strange coins, which I propose to be a legendary currency, purchases exotic items. Basically you get to trade up when spending these things.

My major complaint would have to be with the planet materials. I don't love the suggestion, but I can't put my finger on why.

If you reach any conclusions, I'd love to hear them.

I would also like to explore the idea of Motes of light being used for upgrading light level, but I don't really have time at present to ponder & respond with an intelligent response.

Mote of light are probably the most interesting thing to me. One thought I had, that might be worth exploring, is to make them like glimmer. Motes would be both a currency and a material. So the player would be forced to decide whether they want to buy special gear or infuse light into existing gear.

Nice, I really like like the consolidated screen. My only question is if there's room to make the text large enough to be read on poorer quality TV screens.

Perhaps. The good news is that everything is color coded and categorized, so that part can remain small. You just need to the numbers to be large enough.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread