Maximum armour stat bonuses (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, October 24, 2014, 16:20 (3471 days ago)

Legendary armour from Vendors has set stats that never change. We all know that.

BUT armour from engrams and reputation level-up perks has randomized stats. Which of the two of three out of Discipline, Intellect and Strength they upgrade is random. How much they upgrade them is also randomised within a range. To make matters more complicated, increasing an armour's defense rating also increases these stat bonuses. So comparing a fully-upgraded Legendary you already have, to one you've just found or can buy is not valid without knowledge of how much the stats can go up with the defense upgrades. For example, the one on the left is same as the piece on the right, but purchased, used and fully upgraded.

Exotics are not immune from this either. I got a Hunter's Achlyophage Symbiote from an Exotic engram that started with more 5 Discipline than the one you could buy from Xur the same week. From what I heard, the Titan Armamentarium available from Xur this week has more of it's stat bonus than last week too.

So the question becomes: when I'm super-short on Ascendent Materials - and always seem to be - is it actually worth upgrading armour pieces with them? Or should I wait for RNGesus to smile on me and give me a piece with the maximum stat values?

If the latter: what the hell are they? Does anyone know? How do we find out? Do I just go make notes on pieces I find, upgrade them anyway, and work it out? Is anything but Raid gear really worth it?

P.S. Yes, I realise that the stats bonuses only end up improving recharges by seconds or even fractions thereof. But the way I often like to play, even that can seem like an eternity sometimes. Optimisation or die.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread