"It's just hard to get excited over one more of something." (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:41 (3457 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It's just hard to get excited over one more of something.

This is some arbitrary nonsense.

It's how I feel. Feelings are known for being arbitrary and nonsensical.

It certainly can be hard to get excited about one more of something that you don't particular care for in the first place.

I like the strikes, but one more doesn't impress me, it doesn't make me want to spend money... maybe if it was like $3. Two strikes would be nicer, but that's not an option, and it would only bump up the price I'm comfortable with by a bit, like to $7 maybe. I haven't played the raid, I'm hoping it impresses me, but I don't think another one would be worth $20 to me, and I'm not sure two more for $35 is much better.
The multiplayer maps I don't particularly care for, that much is true, but we're getting more than one, and I still don't particularly care.

It's this type of quantity over quality logic that really bothers me and has lead to a lot of games that have padded out game times because people just want more, not necessarily better.

I didn't say I value quantity over quality, but that's a nice strawman you built. Seriously, it is, there's a legitimate concern there, but I don't think it applies in this case. I'm definitely also concerned about quality, and with so few strikes even just one more is relatively significant, but then that's part of the problem, isn't it? They sold us four worlds, four (or five) strikes, one raid, and some multiplayer maps that we may or may not even get to play, and now they want to sell us a fraction of a world's worth of story missions that aren't even on a new world, one more strike (two if you're lucky), one more raid, and some more multiplayer maps that we presumably also may or may not get to play.
That's not to say I feel cheated, I don't agree with or even understand the argument that we were lied to about the scope and size of the game, except for the way they talked about Saturn and Mercury, and the one comment about how we could go to every place that's visible from the beginning of the first mission, which always seemed a bit too good to be true to me. OK, so I feel let down and a little mislead there, but the worlds are about as big and mostly as well done as I hoped, I just was looking for there to be more of them, and to have organic boundaries instead of bullshit invisible walls and kill barriers, but that second part seems very rare indeed.

Let's talk after you've played a Raid, which is a special experience for many, and may be for you, too. I bet it changes the equation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread