It was... (Spoilers) (Off-Topic)

by Quirel, Monday, November 24, 2014, 13:58 (3413 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

... a great film, and it remains a great film the longer I spend not thinking about it.

First and foremost, it's a beautiful film to watch. There's just so many great shots, so many beautifully conceived scenes. I personally love how almost all the exterior shots of space were from the POV of external cameras. It made the shots of Dr. Mann's docking attempt that much more effective.

And shortly after, when Cooper had to dock with the spaceship when it was spinning out of control... *Inhales deeply* that was impossibly amazing.

And you know how much I rant about movies ignoring physics or treating advanced technology as just another flavor of magic? Didn't happen as much with Interstellar. Any other movie, I'd be harping about how they should have been visibly dizzy and nauseous on a carousel that small. Here, I just chalked it up to a sedative that would selectively dull the inner ear. Yusuf's work, obviously.

And the Tessarect at the end was very well done. I have no complaints, only endless applause for the visuals.

But... well, don't highlight the following if this science stuff will ruin your enjoyment of the movie.

There was no reason for the team to visit Miller's planet. None. Even if a beam in NASA's eye prevented them from realizing "Hey! Miller's only been down there for an hour." his planet should have been the very last in viability. Simple orbital mechanics: If the black hole's gravity bends space enough for an hour on Miller's planet to last seven years outside, that planet would have to be travelling at ludicrous speed to stay in orbit. Seriously, look up in the sky and you'll see plaid.

And if anybody wanted to land on the planet, they'd have to match its velocity first. The fuel that the team would have to burn would make the other planets seem downright welcoming in comparison.

Overall, excellent. You just can't examine the film's treatment of orbital mechanics too closely.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread