Guess I'm a weirdo, but... (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 08:05 (3432 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I was disappointed by it. I wanted to love it, and was very excited to see it, but sometimes movies try to do too much, and in my opinion this one did. MOON was superior, as was GRAVITY. The original SOLARIS mined the same territory and packed a bigger emotional punch for me, but what do I know? Modern audiences find that movie even more boring than its contemporary rival, 2001.

Solaris is an excellent film, and I guess you can color me a weirdo that I thought the remake in 2012 was good too. But about the only similarity between Solaris and Insterstellar is the space part. The story and arc are completely different.

- M

Yeah, it's broad strokes at this point for me. It's been almost 20 years since I've seen it, and 12 since I've seen the remake. Is the remake with Clooney the one you mean--the one that came out in 2002?

In fairness I saw the original SOLARIS while deep in my Tarkovski phase, and was steeped in his "vocabulary" at the time. I might have a different reaction now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread