The game is 3 months old (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 09:58 (3592 days ago) @ iconicbanana
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 10:01

Halo CE had CTF, Oddball, etc zero months from release.

It also didn't have live patches and hotfixes. And CE didn't have raids, or matchmaking. It didn't have any number of bugs that come from cross platform development or massive server loads. It wasn't an online only game. It had to offer everything it was going to be, from day one, and then hand the keys over to the user.

Bungie didn't have to do that with Destiny. I think they probably wanted more for the crucible, but due to creeping deadlines, couldn't have them all at launch. I'm okay with that. I like it when developers bite off more than they can chew. I'm pretty sure there will be more, and I'm okay with waiting for it.

I am pretty sure that you won't get new modes until Destiny 2, or the 'comet' DLC if it still exists. You won't get it for free. Halo had a nice package that had a lot and you only paid for it once. If developing cross generation cost them the ability to make more multiplayer modes, then that's a serious downside and I hope Destiny 2 is PS4 / Xbox only.

The moral is that yes, you can add this stuff later, but it not only LOOKS better to get it right the first time, but it IS better. Waiting to play this game till spring, even fall, of 2015 would have been totally worth it if we had more modes, an investment system that isn't in turmoil, and a better story and missions.

I get development realities, but whenever you make choices there is sacrifice. Plenty of games coming out today get it right and are essentially complete on release.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread