Foolproof Crota Boss Guide (Spoilers) (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 19, 2014, 10:24 (3414 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, December 19, 2014, 10:28

Read on if you just can't kill him. The fight is easier than you think. I completed the raid 5 times at this point, and have done all the jobs in the last fight. This is what worked for me and my teams, but your milage may vary.

Before the fight, designate two people to look out for Knights in the left tower. Designate a sword carrier. Preferably a hunter as explained later.

I have heard some people like to stay in the bottom middle area (the place where you initially drop down with the pool), but in my experience left side is way better for a few reasons:

1. Better vantage point of the Thrall and Swordbearer
2. In better position for attacking Crota in terms of positioning for the Sword carrier and for the folks taking down Crota's shield.
3. Easier to generate orbs in the center for the sword carrier to grab without going out of his way.

General Fight flow:

•Start by clearing out the Acolytes from the left and right hallways, and make your way to the top of the stairs on the left. Have someone (usually the sword carrier) grab the chalice and come back.

•Your two people on knight duty should call out when the knights appear in the left tower. Ignore the ones on the right. Everybody should kill them.

•Kill the sword bearer as quickly as possible.

•Your sword carrier should grab the sword, and get into position. There's a ledge of rocks to the left of Crota that makes a great waiting spot.

•Attack Crota to take his shields down. Then the sword carrier gets in hits, and retreats. Take his shield down a second time, and let the sword carrier get in more hits before the sword disappears.

•Crota will move to the right. Use this opportunity to kill thrall, generate orbs, and grab ammo. If you can, take the Swordbearer's health down, but do not kill him.

•When Crota begins to move mid, kill the SwordBearer and repeat your attack.

•Now, everybody run to the middle to take out the Ogres. A weapons of light in the back by the pool is a big help. After you kill the ogres, wait for Crota to move middle before going up to the left side.

•Repeat until he is dead.

Sword Carrier-

The hunter is the best class for this because 1. You can have tons of agility, and 2. you can go invisible making it much easier to stay in position. Max out your agility if you like. You won't be getting hit, and you can't recover life without the chalice, so armor and recovery do not matter in this fight. If you have MIDA, equip it as well. Turn on Escape Artist (Invisibility on blink strike hit), ShadowJack (increased invisibility duration), and Stalker (crouch to go invisible).

Your goal as the sword carrier should be to not die, and to get in as many hits as safely possible. You will either get 3 or 4 R2 strikes in before Crota's vulnerability wears off. The key to getting 4 is attacking him the instant he starts to kneel. If you are at all late behind this, only go for three. You have plenty of time, so don't get greedy.

The best way to ensure you can start damaging him right away is to go invisible. While on the rocks, crouch, then jump up. This way, you can be near and you don't have to rely on precise timing. After your hits, right as he starts to turn orange, drop the sword, land a blink strike to turn invisible, then pick up the sword again while staying close. This way, you should not have much trouble with timing, and you can get in more hits.

Ater the last hit, you should use back and r! to quickly change direction, and use the sword swing to get yourself out of there ASAP. Again, don't get greedy, you have tons of time.

Timing-

Talk to your sword carrier and tell them how much time YOU need to take Crota down, and have them tell you how much time they need. If your sword carrier is not a hunter, they may need more time on account of not being invisible. If your attackers have 2 or more Gjallerhorns, Crota will go down very quickly. In one of the fights I was jumping up as soon as they said "FIRE". If you have other weapons, it might take longer. As an attacker, gauge the progress of the shield depletion, and give the sword carrier fair warning. You want to tell them to go BEFORE the shield is down.

Orbs-

This can really help. It's probably NECESSARY if you are all level 30. When possible, generate as many orbs as you can down in the center area for the sword carrier to pick up. Try not to place them too far out of the way, as the sword carrier will be grabbing them as they make their way to the rocks. Additionally, the sword carrier can kill a few thrall on the way, but again, don;t go too far out of your way as the sword only lasts for so long.

When your super meter is full as a Sword Carrier, use your super as the last hit. It does tons of damage. I'm pretty sure the only way for level 30s to do enough damage is to utilize the super.

Knights- If Knights are called out, you should immediately snipe them , whoever you are. The only exception is if you are bringing Crota's shields down, in which case only the two people on sniper duty should do it.

Practice. This fight is actually easier than Atheon by quite a bit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread